9.2. Kerala State Optical Fiber Network
Government of Kerala aims to build a dedicated Optic Fibre Network (Kerala State Fibre Network ) connecting the State Head Quarters, Districts, the Block and Gram Panchayats in the state. A highly scalable network infrastructure has been envisioned for K-FON which shall be accessible on a non-discriminatory basis, to provide on demand, affordable broadband connectivity of 2 Mbps upto 100 Mbps for all households. The OFC shall be drawn with the association of the KSEB through the existing poles. Following are the major objectives of K-FON.
State Data Centers and Cloud
- Plan and implement the mega infrastructure project to establish fibre optic connectivity across the state connecting all urban and rural areas to address the digital divide. BPL families will be provided Free limited internet bandwidth upto 2 Mbps.
- Create an optical fiber backbone network connecting all Districts, Blocks, Panchayats and urban local bodies
- Establish connectivity to all Government Institutions including Educational institutions, Police stations, Health centres and hospitals etc in the rural and urban areas of the state.
- Offer connectivity to households (Fibre to Home), other business entities etc, located in the urban and rural areas of the state.
- K-FON will be made available to Telecom, Internet Service Providers, Local Cable Operators etc. in a nondiscriminatory manner to offer various services such as high speed Internet, IPTV, Voice, video conferencing etc.
- Redundant and scalable OFC network to ensure high uptime, reliability and bandwidth on demand.
- All the Govt. Offices, Educational institutions, Akshaya Centers, Friends Centres shall get connected under this network through integration with the State Wide Area Network (KSWAN).